Sayings, Platitudes, Memorable 12- step truths.
We are … Always on the lookout for ones we haven’t heard or have forgotten along the way.
ISM: I Sponsor Myself
ISM: Incredibly Selfish Mentality/Motives
ISM: Independent Self-centered Moron
- When I think I have to butt in, I ask myself 3 things: Is it my business? How important is it? Can God handle it better than I can? ~ Marilyn W.
- Quit driving the bus!
- Alcoholism is a bio- , psycho- , socio- condition.
- alcohol is but a symptom of our disease which is first and foremost a spiritual malady with all its incumbent manifestations (BB of AA)
- A Chemical Abuser usually can quit using when negative consequences result; Chemical Addiction/Dependence is continued use, in spite of negative consequences.
- While I’m in a meeting, my alcoholic is out in the parking lot doing push-ups.
- While I’m in a meeting, my alcoholic is at the gym with a personal trainer.
- The Journal of the American Medical Association defines alcoholism as “a primary, chronic disease characterized by impaired control over drinking, preoccupation with the drug alcohol, use of alcohol despite adverse consequences, and distortions in thinking.”
- Fear and Faith cannot co-exist.
- Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things unseen. (Hebrews 11:1)
- Belief is agreeing that it’s possible to push a wheelbarrow over a tightrope; FAITH is getting in the wheelbarrow. ~ Jeanne G.
- Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof. ~ Kahil Gibran
- Knowledge is fear of the Lord; Wisdom is to turn away from evil. (Job 28:28)
- To gain something you never had, you have to do something you never did.
FEAR & ANXIETY
- That little birds of care and worry flit about your head – this you cannot avoid. That they make nests in your hair – this you can prevent. ~ Chinese proverb
- Just because you’re walking through a s–t-storm, doesn’t mean you have to have your mouth open.~ Bill M.
- Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.
- When all you feel is despair, go to sleep. When you wake up, God will have delivered a fresh batch of grace. ~ Pastor Paul Shepard
- How free do you wanna be? ~ Marilyn W.
- “No effort earns this all-surrounding grace.” ~ Denise Levertov
- A truly grateful alcoholic won’t drink.
- An alcoholic can’t be grateful and hateful at the same time.
- Thank you, God, for the roof over my head, and the pillow under it.
- It’s o.k. to look back, just don’t stare.
- Guilt is remorse for a bad action; shame is thinking I’m a bad person.
- Don’t lie… there’s less to remember.
- One small compromise can lead to great ruin. ~ Ginger
- Going to a bar for a cup of coffee is like going to a whorehouse for a kiss.
- Character is what you are when no one is looking. ~ C. Swindoll
- Humility is not comparing myself with others. ~ Lois Elaine
- Humility is learning to Just Be. ~ Steve W.
- A proud person is one who may love God in a fashion, but acts and thinks on his own. This person is unteachable. The proud person makes decisions based on his own reasoning, skills and abilities. ~ from D. Wilkerson
- A humble person is one who depends wholly on the Lord for everything, in every circumstance. ~ D. Wilkerson
- Humility is remaining teachable, by whomever and whatever.
- FIRST THOUGHT WRONG
- Coincidences are God’s way of remaining anonymous.
- You’re only late to your first meeting.
- If I am what I do, and I don’t, then I’m not. ~ Jude
- You can only coast going downhill.
- Most things can be preserved in alcohol; dignity, however, is not one of them.
- Once you’re a pickle, you’ll never again be a cucumber.
- It’s a train’s engine that kills you, not the caboose. (Don’t take the first drink!)
- It’s not my fault that I’m an alcoholic, but it IS my responsibility to pursue Recovery.
- Some people are too smart to get sober. ~ Marty
- Expectations are resentments waiting to happen. ~ Jay P.
- I wasn’t born with a luggage rack. ~ Marilyn W.
- Ego — EGO … Edging God Out
- I forgot to set the alarm clock for my spiritual awakening.
- No alcoholic ever found recovery as a result of an INTELLECTUAL awakening.
- God could and would if He were sought, not if He were found.
- Religion is for people who are afraid to go to Hell; Spirituality is for people who have been there.
- Surrender and capitulation are not the same thing.
- Surrender doesn’t mean losing or giving up, it means joining the winning team.
- Turn your will and your life over to someone, ANYONE! Just not yourself!
- It’s like a monkey puzzle: if I don’t open my hand and let go of the banana, I’ll never be free.
- Alcoholism brought me to my knees… and not just in front of the toilet.
- The one who woke up earliest this morning has the the most sobriety.
- Today is Day One.
- Time takes time.