Some ask: “Where is your Statement of Faith? What do you believe?”
Perhaps in their manner, they are seeking to “categorize” or measure our faith / or our thinking into one camp or another… please don’t do this.
On the other hand, the Gospel of God is all about His purpose for us. THIS is worth discussing.
We were created to walk, talk and fellowship with God. But sin has separated us. Evil is a barrier between us and our Creator.
The Westminister Shorter Catechism says it pretty well.
Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God,[Ps. 86] and to enjoy him forever.[Ps. 16]
Here is how to tear down the barrier and be come truly free…
“The Son is the image of the invisible God, Jesus was present and is Lord over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.” Col. 1:15-20
- The Bible is the Word of the one true God. The path to recovering our relationship with Him (having before and continuing to fail miserably in life – to remain utterly unholy) — that the path to restoration is only through Jesus Christ.
- The testimony of Gods love for us is that He paid the price for our redemption with the death of His son, Jesus. This act of awesome grace is the only means by which we can come back to Him. It is offered to everyone.
- God testifies to His ultimate authority and existence through Creation. In equal measure to scripture. Creation exists as evidence of God Word.
- God speaks to us directly through the Spirit Jesus promised. What the Spirit whispers to us is never, ever in conflict with either His word or His testimony through creation.
- We believe in a common language of Worship, through music for instance, but not limited in this way. Worship is independent of “performance quality.” In fact, worship must cost us something precious: Surrender, nothing less will do.
- Deep, meditative prayer is essential. Communion and confession? Yes, here there are no substitutes.
- A persistent mindfulness of things God has said. We fill empty minds with scripture.
- Believers gather together on a regular basis. This could be in a coffee shop or a Christ-centered 12-step group, a home group or garage band for worship. It could definitely be a Church in a building with a name on the outside. It only matters that we fellowship.
- We are absolutely A-political. We do not believe that true Christianity intersects with Secular Government at all.
- We are absolutely committed to the sanctity of personal secrets and confidentiality. The only exception to this is when we serve “inside” Jails or Prisons — in those cases we have agreed to report certain things, and we are careful to respect this obligation.
Jesus came, humbled himself to become a man and lived a perfect life. In doing so he was the “Lamb of God” — that most precious of sacrifices. We know that Jesus died as the Father intended, was buried and rose from death just as He said He would. We believe that He sent the Holy Spirit to aid any who will believe in His coming. We are sure that He is right now, seated at the right hand of God the Father where he intercedes for us, covering us from the shame of sin we presently struggle with in this life.
“Faith is … This one committal, this one great volitional act which establishes the heart’s intention to gaze forever on Jesus.” A.W. Tozer.
Was this helpful?