Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you.”Acts 3:6
Ultimately, we are all just beggars. Anyone who acts (or thinks) differently is simply deceived. Wealth & Power are no eternal measures. But that’s what our culture says. Temporal power and wealth rule.
“It’s great to be healthy, wealthy and wise. God has blessed you. But have no pity on the sick, poor and stupid – who are beneath contempt. ‘They’ have done something to bring God’s disfavor and condemnation.”See Deut. Ch’s 28 & 29
Jesus upended what the Jews believed.
We, but for the grace of God – suffer all kinds of disabling traumas in life. Physical, mental, emotional … And yes political disabilities. To be born a US Citizen? Amazing. We simply cannot appreciate what it means to be Guatemalan (for example.)
Peter’s lack of financial endowment didn’t hinder him from sharing with the beggar what he possessed. Which was the power to heal and set free. Peter saw the cripple’s real need. Peter used his gifts to address those.
We enjoy what “health and strength” we have by the kindness of God’s blessing.
The weak and the lame (metaphorically speaking) stuck in the gates of this great nation (politically disabled) are our neighbors. As a Christian you matter to God and therefor to me – whether you’re an immigrant, a refugee, person of color, an addict … whatever your disadvantage, you can be a treasure to our community.
We may have limited temporal resources, but with what advantages we enjoy – GENUINE CHRISTIANS will meet the needs of others. Christians in Name Only (CHINO’s) will do the opposite. They will begrudge the slightest gift.
Like Peter, American Patriots (because they are governed under God and truly generous) will convey what they have to their disadvantaged neighbor.
- I can’t give you instant wealth, but I welcome you to earn what you can.
- I want you to drive if you can, vote and pay taxes.
- I give you the freedom, security and assurance that you can worship however you wish.
- I give you the choice to have kids, enjoy your family and not be in fear of jack-booted thugs crashing your door to deport you.
Unlike Peter, CHINO’s (Traitors to the christian/American way- Because they govern others for self-advantage) will deny and prevent their disadvantaged neighbors and oppress them every chance they encounter.
- CHINO’s say: I will steal your wealth whenever I want because I have the power to do so.
- CHINO’s say: You can’t drive, you won’t vote. If you apply, we’ll catch you, foreigner…
- CHINO’s use power and position to make people like themselves “more free” than people different. They disparage forms of worship that don’t reflect their own beliefs.
- CHINO’s will send militarized police to crash doors, round up the weak and disadvantaged – for persecution and deportation. Do it secretly with venom.
Seriously. Who are we listening to? Start here:
“He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?”Micah 6:8
And I will come near you for judgment; I will be a swift witness Against sorcerers, Against adulterers, Against perjurers, Against those who exploit wage earners and widows and orphans, And against those who turn away an alien— Because they do not fear Me,” Says the Lord of hosts.Micah 3:5
Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.James 1:37
To be unspotted from the world, is to live against temporal convention. Prefer ministering to the “Sick, Poor and Stupid.” Remain humble enough to share what we have with those who have less. Freedom is the richest, most righteous gift of all. God gives it to everyone. It’s the “Healthy, Wealthy and Wise” who deprive people of their God-given right.